October 4, 2008

Discipline

So, over the past year I have been convicted of my lack of discipline in so many areas of my life. For years, I have considered myself an "all or nothing" type personality. For example, my house is either spotless or a complete disaster. I workout every single day or not at all. I set goals or I fly by the seat of my pants.

I really have a desire to change this aspect of myself. So I have come up with some areas of discipline I am starting to improve upon. Over the past month or so I have really started seeing a difference in how discipline is transforming my life. It brings structure to my day. It helps me become the woman that God intended for me to be.

Discipline Areas:

1. Bible reading-I bought a new Bible that has a new format. It is a study Bible, but the purpose of the format is to help you become disciplined in reading and studying the Bible daily. It is broken up into devotionals/chapters of the Bible. For example, Monday- Genesis Chapters 1-3 and a devotional, Tuesday- Genesis chapters 4-6 and a devotional, etc.

My goal: I am challenging myself to begin my journey today in reading the Bible straight through. I want to know God's word to the best of my ability.

2. Healthy living- I have been doing a good job over the past couple of months of really focusing on my health. I have been purposefully eating healthy and exercising on a regular basis. I want to feel alive every day. I want to feel like I am protecting and strengthening the body I was given.

My goal: I have started running consistently. I run 4 days a week. Right now it is easy, but my goal is to run a 5K in December. And when I say run it, I mean run it WELL.

3. Early mornings- Here's the big one. I have got to learn the beauty of mornings. It is now becoming a necessity in my life. For those who know me and know me well, they are aware of my ability to sleep well every single night and my inability to rise early. I am a night owl by nature. However, I want to be disciplined enough to see the beauty of a morning. I want to become a morning person. (I am cringing as I am writing this because I know myself too well... and I do love my bed...A LOT). I value my sleep. In fact, I get a minimum of 8 hours every single night. Most nights I even get 9 or more.

My goal: I have written myself a schedule. I printed it out and I am placing it on my bathroom mirror. I want to discipline myself to wake up in enough time to A. shower and get ready, B. spend time with Jesus, and C. eat a good healthy breakfast. My next goal after I have this one down is to run in the mornings before I go to work. I'm starting slow though. I have to get the waking up early down first.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:6-8

No comments: