October 15, 2008

Brennan Manning

Today I am going to quote Brennan Manning because I think he is an amazing example of a faithful and truthful man of God. If you have never read Manning's books, I would highly suggest them.

Here are some quotes that rocked my world from a Podcast from Seattle Pacific University. Brennan Manning spoke on three subjects that all correlated.

They were:
1. Embracing Ourselves with God's Love in Our Brokenness
2. He Knows What Hurts Within Us
3. What Does it Mean to Be "in Christ"

My favorite quotes were:

"Surrender yourself without any conditions to the Son of God."

"Jesus the risen Christ present in our midst this moment loves you and accepts you just as you are."

"He loves you and accepts you just as you are, not as you should be."

"Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow."

"My friend were you so naive as to think that your relationship with me would be an unbroken, upward spiral towards holiness? Don't you know that I am too realistic for that? I witnessed a Peter who claimed he didn't know me, a James who wanted power in return for service to the kingdom, a Phillip who did not know he was supposed to see the Father in me, and scores of disciples who were convinced that I was finished on Calvary. The Gospel has many examples of men and women who started out well and then faltered along the way. But I appeared to Peter, James is not remembered for his selfish ambition but the sacrifice of his life to the kingdom, Phillip did see the Father when I pointed the way, and the disciples who dispared had enough courage to recognize me in the stranger at their side and when I broke bread with them in the gathering darkness at the end of the road to Emmaus.

The point my friend is this. I expected more failure from you than you expected from yourself. Do you hear my word? I expected more failure from you than you expected from yourself. At this moment, take your eyes off yourself and fix them on me. And let me be who I am, Savior."

No comments: