September 23, 2008

The Black Line

I love it. I absolutely love swimming. The black line in a pool is my friend. Tonight was a typical night. I got off work and went to the pool to swim. There is just something about it that relaxes me. I feel strong and healthy when I swim. I am able to breathe and reflect on my day. I also use my swimming time as an "aqua devotional" time. I know to most it might sound weird, but for me it works. I know a lot of people who are runners. They absolutely love running. When days are hard and long, they want nothing more than to go out on an open road and run. While I want to become that person some day, my passion is swimming. Tonight I jumped in an empty pool with the wind blowing ripples in the water. I had no goal in mind which is unusual for me. I usually have an idea in my head of how far I plan on swimming and at least come up with some workout to make the time go by quicker. Not tonight. Tonight, the black line was my friend. I kept swimming back and forth, back and forth, flip turn after flip turn. I noticed myself speeding up unintentionally. It was a great feeling. My body was almost disconnected from my mind. My body was in motion and my mind was processing my day. And the best part? 45 minutes had passed and I didn't once notice. Isn't it exciting when you can do something good for your body and for your mind all at the same time?

This is a picture from when I was little and I was about to swim in a race. I guess once you are passionate about something, you are always passionate about it.

No comments: