So, even though I live in sunny, hot Florida...I still love fall. We have had a couple of days in the past week that reminded me why I love it. Whenever I feel the breeze and crisp air I am reminded of my childhood in Tennessee. I can remember waking up on Saturday mornings and walking downstairs only to catch my mom in the kitchen making homemade chili, my dad lounging in his recliner watching college football, and my brother laying on the floor gathering and reading any and every magazine you could possibly look through. The windows in our house would be open so we could feel the breeze and my house always had the infamous smell of scented fall candles. It was a norm in the Tilson household. My friends always said that the smell of fall reminded them of our house.
While I realize that Florida is not exactly the same as Tennessee during the fall, there are some special parts of it that I have grown to love. I have grown to love the way that Floridians make the most of a fall filled with temperatures in the 80s and 90s. I went on a run today around the community that I live in and saw some of the cutest, most fall decorated houses I've ever seen. I seriously think they were more festive than my hometown in southeast Tennessee. It was amazing. I bought a fall scented candle the other day and I have fooled myself into thinking that it is cool outside just because of the memories that fill my mind when smelling it.
So, despite the lack of changing leaves, cool temperatures, chili cooking, and the ability to open windows... Florida is becoming home to me, even in the fall. I will always miss Tennessee during the fall, but it makes the time there I spend during Thanksgiving so much more enjoyable.
November 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment