November 4, 2008

Blinders

I had the most incredible talk with the mother of one of my oncology patients today. I knew that she was a strong believer and I had a few minutes to really get to talk to her today about her daughter. I am telling you...my life is changed every single day I walk into this hospital. God transforms me through my job and it is so life-giving.

I basically was asking her what the plan was and how her daughter's cancer was responding to the treatments. She started telling me what God has taught her through this ordeal and I was so touched by her words. She began telling me about when her daughter was first diagnosed and how she had resentment and anger towards God. She was frustrated and mad. But then she began to tell me about her lesson of the blinders. She said, "I have learned to always have my blinders up. Nothing else matters besides what is straight ahead of me. And my daughter is here and is straight ahead of me. I can't look to the left and wonder what that picture would look like. I can't look to the right and wonder what could be different. I can only look straight ahead because I really don't have the ability to do anything else."

WOW. This is a prime example of why I am so passionate about my job. If you aren't familiar with what blinders are...here is the definition. Blinders: A pair of leather flaps attached to a horse's bridle to curtail side vision.



I want blinders. God desires for us to live with our blinders up. I need to see what is in front of me right now. I don't want to look to my left and wonder. I don't want to look to my right either. I want to walk one foot in front of the other. One step at a time. One moment at a time. One day at a time. One breath at a time. Why? Because God's path requires that...bottom line. And I refuse to take any other road besides His.

1 comment:

Kendall Kayworth said...

I just randomly was on K&B's blog and thought I would pop in on your blog, and I'm glad I did. Your Blinders post made me really think about some things. I just want to say thank you for writing about that experience. Seriously. Isn't our God so good?
Love you Julie!