December 8, 2008

Overlooking the good...

My life at work becomes insanely busy between the months of October and December. Why you ask? Because people realize around this time of year that there are sick kids in the hospital. Why is it that our hearts only tend to think of those less fortunate or those who are hurting during a particular time of the year? I hate that and I have become more and more aware of it as the days pass.

Lately I have really noticed myself overlooking the good in situations. I am in charge of all of the donations that come through our children's hospital and during the holidays it can become quite a task for one individual to take on. At times, I'd even go as far as to say it is impossible for one individual to handle.

Today, about an hour ago, I had to ask God for a big fat slap on the face. Harsh, maybe... but it's what I needed. I have gotten so caught up in receiving donation calls, scheduling donations, and going through the stress of the holidays that I have overlooked the good in things. I have missed it. I missed the fact that the entire reason that these people are calling me is to serve, to give, and to love on kids who may never experience this blessing. The hustle and bustle of my own hectic schedule had brought me to a place of selfishness. I was exhausted. I was busy. I was stressed out. Oh, but yet again, I had to own up to the fact that this world is not about me. It is not about how frustrated I am or how busy I am. It's about people helping people. It's about giving and serving. It's about showing love to those who feel unloved. It's about denying myself to the cross every single day because God's picture is much bigger than my own. Most importantly, it's about showing Jesus to people daily. If I have learned anything during this time of year it is this- God gives me opportunities to fulfill His greatest commandment, but will I show up? Will I put others in front of myself because Jesus did so? Will I lay down my life for a friend even in the midst of sheer exhaustion? My intention is yes. But I know myself better than to think that yes will always be my answer. All I know is that I can strive to show love to people daily despite where I am or how I am feeling. God can hold me and provide me the strength.

My hope is that in the days ahead I would acknowledge that every day should be Christmas. Every day I should serve those around me even if it is in the simplest ways. I should think of those less fortunate than me on March 4 just as much as I do on December 25. I should celebrate the birth of my Savior on August 19 just as much as I do on Christmas day. Basically, I want to stop making this time of year about me and more about others. Jesus did so. He made His whole life about others and never about himself. I love this aspect of Him. I want to be a selfless woman who sees the good in people, always.

1 comment:

Bethany's Really Awesome Blog said...

Julie! I love this post. I love your heart and your constant willingness to love those kids... I don't think you'll know the extent of the effect you have on them until you get to heaven. There will be a major party for you, I think!!

I love you!